Invisalign vs Traditional Braces
Patients who are interested in straighter teeth and a happier smile may want to know more about how Invisalign compares to traditional braces. Below, you will find a brief comparison covering different categories that patients ask about most often.
The Basics of the Invisalign process:
- With traditional braces, patients will need to have brackets bonded to their teeth, which hold the wire that’s used to align teeth into place. These brackets cannot be removed for a set period of time. Some patients may require several years of treatment, which means years of wearing these braces in public, in photos, and more.
- With Austin TX Invisalign, patients never have to have any materials bonded to their teeth. Invisalign uses a series of clear plastic dental trays that guide teeth, all without wires and brackets.
Treatment Time for Invisalign:
- Traditional braces can take anywhere from 18 months to 3 or more years to see results, depending on the patient’s age, dental condition, and other considerations. During that time, these braces cannot be removed, and must be professional tightened and adjusted by a dental professional.
- The Invisalign system uses a series of trays that change over time to reflect a straighter smile. The trays themselves can be removed by patients whenever they wish to do so. Like a retainer, Invisalign can be taken out when you are eating, when you want to take a photo, or whenever you feel. Typical treatment periods range from 6 months to 1 year.
- Brushing with traditional braces can prove difficult for some patients, as food can become stuck in the wires and brackets. You will also need to avoid foods that are sticky, as they can be troublesome if they become entangled with the metal. Food that is stuck in problem areas can lead to poor breath or further dental concerns, such as dental carries.
- Invisalign allows you to remove the tray at night to brush your teeth, and clean the tray. That means less worrying about bad breath and sticky food, like candy, becoming trapped in your teeth. It also means that you can properly brush at any angle without worrying about the wires and brackets getting in the way.
- Invisalign has several strong advantages over traditional braces for teenagers and adults alike. To learn more, schedule a consultation at Austin Cosmetic today. We can provide show you demonstration trays, compare costs, and help you to pick the perfect solution for your teeth.