The Austin Dentist’s Dental Care Tips
Healthy teeth and gums not only make your smile look great, but contribute to your overall health as well. Dr. Tejas Patel, of the Center of Cosmetic & General Dentistry in Austin, Texas, recommends that everyone, from young children to seniors, practice good oral hygiene every day.
Dr. Patel’s recommendations
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. The hygienists at the Center of Cosmetic & General Dentistry will show you the proper way to brush when you come for your six-month check up.
- Replace toothbrushes every three or four months, or when the bristles show signs of wear and after times of illness. Children’s toothbrushes may need to be replaced more frequently.
- Floss once a day. Brushing doesn’t remove all the plaque from between teeth. If it’s not removed, the bacteria that live in it will multiply and spread, and the plaque itself will harden into tartar.
Flossing removes plaque and food particles from between the teeth. Even young children can be taught to floss.
- Eat a well-balanced diet and limit sugary foods. Whenever possible, brush after eating sugary snacks.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral exams.
The staff at the Center of Cosmetic & General Dentistry can advise you on the use of other dental hygiene devices such as:
- Ultrasonic toothbrushes
- Mouth rinses
- Tongue cleaners
Call Dr. Patel to schedule six-month check-ups for everyone in your family.